Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scottish Ale & Strep Throat

I was in eager anticipation to head up to Tuckermans Ravine Sunday night. As luck would have it, around two hours prior to the time I was supposed to meet up with Emily and Dave, I came down with something.
I started to feel a little bit off after dinner. By 8:30 PM Not knowing what was wrong I found myself laid out and horizontal in my bed making the necessary calls to bail on the trip.
Monday morning arrived and I was feeling a little bit better so I jumped at the chance to brew. I already had the grist milled and the water measured, it essentially became a no brainer on my end. The target gravity was 1.076, and I ended up with 1.062 essentially missing my gravity by a mile. The beer should still be very good, just not as much alcohol as anticipated.
Oh, and by the way, I made it to the doctor by Tuesday, and was diagnosed with Strep throat. First time on Penicillin since I had my wisdom teeth extracted in 1989.

Sunday, April 19, 2009


Today I brewed up a new ESB recipe that I have been working on for a few weeks. This experiment saw the introduction of Demura into the beer. I'm branching out a little bit more these days with the intruduction of more adjuncts into my brews. Lately it has just been sugar in various forms. Coming soon: beer made with six row, corn, and rice.
This beer was brewed so I could have a yeast cake availabel for the next batch of Strong Scottish Ale.