Monday, July 09, 2007

California Common, the Tour, and some hard working yeast.

The 2007 Tour de France started Saturday with the prologue taking place around London. It's so easy to get caught up in the tour when you have the internet at your fingertips. I would like to catch some live coverage one of these days if time permits. B and I were hard at work down in the brewery Sunday. we brewed up the California Common which has become a standard in my brew house.
It's modeled after Anchor Steam, which is a mighty fine beer. I think the mill is finally dialed in as good as it's going to get. I ran the numbers by Ray and his calculations came up with something like 1.002 points gravity per pound of malt. Ray let me know if this number is inaccurate, as I was not taking very good notes yesterday.
Remember last weeks behemoth Imperial Stout that rang in at 1.096? Well, the 1056 American ale yeast they I used to ferment this beer with, went to work and dropped the gravity down to 1.020. My math sucks, but this should mean about 79% attenuation, which I think is completely acceptable. It got racked to secondary fermentation today and will be blended with the Mustgo Imperial Stout when it gets bottled in a couple weeks.
Next on deck will be some more Amarillo Pale Ale. It very well could be my new favorite hop.

No comments: